Veterans of Foreign Wars  Post 450

Mission First, Veterans Always

History of the Number 450 in the VFW


              Historically in the Veterans of Foreign Wars a Post’s number would indicate the numerical order a Post’s application for charter was received at National Headquarters. Later, as Posts consolidated or closed the number would be available for reissue after one year. Today, once a Post consolidates or closes its number is no longer valid, it is retired, never to be used again.

               The current Post as we know it was chartered on the 11th of May 1977. Because of this, the question often comes up as to where the number 450 originated. Below is the chronological history of the number 450 as obtained from the VFW National Headquarters.

 


  • 1920 –   Established in Chicago, IL as Day Light Post 450


  • 1923 –   Day Light Post 450 and the 108th Engineers Post 555 consolidate into Prairie Post 450 that October.


  • 1932 –   Prairie Post 450 and General George Bell Jr. Post 1487 consolidate into General George Bell Jr. Post 450 in January.


  • 1975 –   General George Bell Jr. Post 450 and Chicago’s Own Post 1604 consolidated as Chicago’s Own Post 1604.


  • 1977 –   The number 450 was reissued to Crestwood Memorial Post 450 on May 11th


  • 1979 –   Crestwood Memorial Post 450 moved to its current location and changed its name to Alsip Memorial Post 450 that December.

 

Other Dates of Interest

1899 –   The American Veterans of Foreign Service and the National Society of the Army of the Philippines were organized to secure the rights and benefits for veterans of the Spanish American War and the Philippines War.

1914 -    These two organizations merged creating the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States.

1936 -    The Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States was chartered by Congress.

 

Notes:

108th Engineers: The Engineer battalion of the 33rd Infantry Division “The Prairie Division”, Illinois National Guard.


General George Bell Jr.: Commander of the 33rd Infantry division during WW1 and Commander of the VI Corps headquartered in Chicago after WW1 until he retired in 1923.

 

Past Post Commanders

1977 – 1979        Allen Svihlik

1979 – 1981        Johnnie Rupert**

1981 – 1982        Leonard Tamberlin**

1982 – 1983        Johnnie Rupert**

1983 – 1985        Jerome Rice**

1985 – 1987        Robert Hickman**

1987 – 1997        Wilfred Raguse**

1997 – 2002        Raymond Clause

2002 – 2007        Thomas Maher

2007 – 2008        Joseph Roberts**

2008 – 2011        Thomas Maher

2011 – 2013        Michael Graffis

2013 – 2014        Dominic Jaroch

2014 – 2016        Robert Welch

2016 – 2017        Patrick Falsey

 

Past District Commanders from Post 450

1996 – 1997        John Delingham**

1999 – 2001        Stanley Smit**

2016 – 2017        Robert Welch


 ** Deceased